A ductless mini-split is a compact heating and cooling system that operates much like an electric heat pump but doesn’t require the ductwork that a traditional heat pump, furnace, or AC system requires. These are commonly found in buildings that have multiple areas that require temperature control in close proximity such as a cluster of small apartments, or hotel rooms. They also might be used in buildings and areas where adding ductwork is impractical or impossible such as in an add-on to an existing home.
Advantages of Ductless Mini-Splits
Ductless mini-splits do provide several advantages over traditional, ducted air conditioning systems. Here are a few of them:
- Ductless mini-split systems are typically easier to install than other air conditioning and heating systems.
- Ductless mini-splits are great as an air conditioning-like solution in buildings and rooms that use other “duct-free” heating systems such as radiant panel heat, hydronic or hot water heating, and space heaters that burn wood, kerosene, or propane.>
- Mini-splits allow you to save energy and money by only using them in the room or building being used.
- They have many convenient installation options, including wall mount, drop ceiling mount, and floor standing mini-split models.
- You lose up to 25% of energy from the ductwork in traditional air conditioning systems. By going ductless, you have a more efficient cooling system.
Disadvantages of Ductless Mini Splits
There are situations that are not ideal for ductless mini-split installation. These include:
- Mini-splits tend to be more expensive (per ton) than installing a central air conditioning system with a similar cooling capacity.
- Sizing the indoor area and location where the mini-split should be installed can be tricky and can waste a lot of energy and cause poor temperature and/or humidity control.
- On a related note, ductless mini-split installers and qualified service techs may be difficult to find since many traditional HVAC installation companies tend to focus on ducted air conditioning systems.
Muirfield Mechanical is the Premier Ductless Mini-Split Installer in Eastern Massachusetts
We have been serving customers in the Eastern Massachusetts and Greater Boston areas since 1963. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and sell, service, and repair a variety of ductless mini-splits including the industry-leading Mitsubishi ductless heat pump. Let one of our ductless air conditioning experts stop by and provide a free heating and cooling system consultation by calling (978) 296-5251, filling out our simple contact form, or sending email to email@example.com. Our air conditioning installation specialists can take a look at your home or office and determine if a ductless mini-split is right for you.